viernes, 8 de agosto de 2014

Horse head in flames- Cabeza de caballo en llamas

Mainly due to technical problems with my computer, I have not posted anything in a long time.  I need to fix that delay - at least I will fix something,  in view that I cannot fix the computer completely. OK, so we have here the well known dark nebula B33, surrounded by a lot of hydrogen emission nebulosity, some reflection nebulae, other dark nebulae, and of course the bright star Alnitak, one of the stars in Orion's belt, the one more "to the left". This is a very popular area for astrophotographers, and I have made several attempts to it, starting in, maybe, 2004 with the old system: chemical photography in color slides (Provia 400 from Fuji) and manual guiding with a reticle eyepiece. I used a second (or n-th) hand Nikon F2 and the Taka FS102. If I can find that photo, I think I scanned it, I'll post it here later. But I have never done a very serious attempt to it. Still in this case it is not a completely serious attempt, in the sense that I have invested relatively little time in it, for my standards. Only 3 hours of H-alpha and less than 2 hours of Blue. But it seems to be enough for a decent photo in this area with very strong signal.

The combination of a narrow band filter (H-alpha, red at 653 nm, 5nm wide) with a broad band one (Blue) has been already discussed in previousposts, and I think with success. I'm not really trying to get a realistic color rendition (we all know that color does not really exist, don't we?), I'm just trying to go deep with the H-alpha but not losing the areas where reflection nebulae predominate. The key is to balance the H-alpha (assigned to Red) signal with the Blue, and build from them a good synthetic Green.

In any case, with not much processing, I get the attached photo. My friend Daniel Trueba has pointed out some artifacts in the form of subtle banding, specially in the right bottom corner, which I'll try to correct. But before the computer gets stuck again, I wanted to post something.

The equipment is the usual one: QSI camera and Astro-Physics 130 Gran Turismo on an ASA DDM60pro mount.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario